Thursday, September 25, 2008

Big Commitment - Bike!


I've been talking and thinking about getting a commuter bike for work and going downtown ever since I moved into my house that is 2.6miles from work (which is downtown). So today I kept discussing the issue and looking up bike info and I am making the commitment. I have come up with 4 good reasons to do this.

Reason #1 - Saving resources and fuel costs. A round trip to work for me is about 6 miles. That's only about 1600 miles a year. Which in my car is about 60 gallons. Not a lot really. But, every little bit counts.

Reason #2 - I have felt a lot more run down and tired ever since I stopped going to the gym. Now I will get a daily cardio workout while I enjoy a breath of fresh air every morning/afternoon.

Reason #3 - I can enjoy the freedom and flexibility of going downtown without being tied to my car. No more DUI risk or life endangerment (of others). Take a cab is no prob. Coast home (downhill from downtown). No problem.

Reason #4 - Social enjoyment, Maybe I can join a bike gang or something. I allready have a handlebar mustache.

So, I did lots of research and I think this is the model that suites my needs. Bio Wheels has her in stock. She is light, sleek, good looking, and basically a rodbike with the commuting comfort of a flat bar and bigger seat. About to leave now to give it a test drive!

5 comments:

skippy haha said...

i hope you have a waterproof poncho! and a helmet!

Brian Ross said...

I have a helmet. I just got a little wet this morning (no poncho). I love having a bike! I got to work in 14 minutes and have felt like I have more energy all day. My ass hurts from the seat though. I gotta tough up the tush.

skippy haha said...

this is awesome. did you ride it up biltmore? (duuuuune bugggggies)

Brian Ross said...

I cut through the neighborhood on Forest Hill drive which kicks out further down on biltmore > Biltmore > Charlotte St. It is the flattest and shortest route. I played with my route a lot on goggle. I don't mind riding Biltmore on the road. I have flashy lights and I am nearly as fast as cars unless I am climbing a hill. I wanna talk bike talk with Justin sometime and go for a ride with their crew. Kind of sucks I thought to do this right before winter...brrrrrrr

skippy haha said...

http://whatupwithjutrut.blogspot.com/
that is justin's website, you can follow his adventures, i think he gets back this week for the black keys show but haven't heard for sure.